What comes to your mind when you hear the word Shopify? Selling products, right? Most of us think of the same for the platform is among the best for product-based eCommerce?
This is because Shopify is designed to sell physical products and not exactly to sell Services. Services are those non-tangible goods that mostly involve selling your time or expertise to get something done for your customers/clients.
List of different services you can add to your Shopify Store using Apps
Although Shopify is best to sell products, there exist many eCommerce merchants who have found a workaround to make Shopify work perfectly well for their service offerings as well. They have achieved this by using certain apps that are readily available on the Shopify App Store.
In this article, I shall walk you through some of the Shopify apps that are no less than a miracle. They add features to your Shopify store to instantly transform it into a service/s-based eCommerce wonder. In each of the sections I shall define each kind of service that you can use Shopify for and the corresponding apps to build compatibility I.e. Your Service/s Vs Shopify.
Sell Appointments as a Service on Shopify
An appointment is a mutually agreed period of time where two parties are met to achieve an objective. In case of an appointment for a service, one party receives a service while others provide the same. In simple words, appointments are time-bound and one to one servicing.
Appointments as a service typically include –
- Consultations with doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc.
- Sessions for services such as spa, salons, wedding dress rental, etc.
- Customization appointments for jewelry, furniture, fashion, etc.
- Training courses
If you are an appointment-based service provider, you can make your Shopify store in line with your processes by using the following Shopify apps/plugins –
Webkul Booking App
Webkul Booking App is a powerful and feature-loaded Shopify app to make your store sell services such as appointments, rental type services and bookings (hotel, travel, tours, and travels, etc.). Some of the features of this app that you simply cannot miss noticing include –
- Allows 6 kinds of booking services based on the type of services you sell on your Shopify store
- Allows easy approval, cancellation, and rescheduling or bookings/appointments
- Allows the creation of multiple variants of your services
- Allows blackout of certain time slots or dates where servicing is not available
- Configuration of the reminder emails to customers
- Configuration of notifications to both customers and admin
- Allows addition and management of custom fields
- Offers a powerful Admin panel for easy configuration and management of your services
- Compatible with POS
- 15 Day FREE Trial Available
Sesami – Appointment Booking
If you are on the hunt for a simple appointment booking app, Sesami’s Appointment Booking is a must check out. This app also seamless integration with Shopify Admin, POS apps and iOS/Android apps. Some of the important features of Sesami Appointment booking app include –
- The app is a calendar-based booking app
- Allows booking for both online and offline services
- Allows Admin to book services on behalf of customers
- Allows POS-based booking
Acerill – Book An Appointment
Acerills’ Book An Appointment Shopify app is a must try to make your Shopify store sell appointments. The app display’s one or more calendars on your Shopify store while allowing your visitor to book their appointments based on the slots defined by you. The app also includes configurable confirmation emails to your customers. Other features include –
- Allows appointment management using Google Calendar & Zapier
- Mobile responsive
- Best suited for appointments related to Sports, Medical consultations, coaching & training, Salons and Spas, Home management & repair services, etc.
Sell Memberships/Subscriptions /Rentals as a Service on Shopify
Memberships or Subscriptions based services are of many kinds. Such a service is primarily modeled for businesses such as online courses, books, online entertainment (for example Netflix), sports clubs, library, access to digital tools (apps/software tools/OS, etc.), Spas & Salons, Shared office spaces, etc.
The primary idea behind any membership or subscription-based services is that it requires recurring invoicing or ordering, which can either happen manually or automatically. If you plan to start your Shopify store such a service, you can do so with the help of the following apps.
Bold Subscriptions is a widely popular Shopify app that provides you with the power to runs your service-based eCommerce business on Shopify in style. Striking features of the Bold Subscriptions Shopify app include –
- Offers seamless integration – you can integrate recurring payments at almost all locations of your Shopify store, including at cart page, product page, check out page, within customer accounts page, etc.
- Highly flexible configuration – customers can easily edit, add to, update, skip, swap subscriptions – edit/manage personal information, etc
- Subscriptions allowed on an individual or a product set (bundled products)
- Allows admin and customers to define the membership/subscription period/interval
- Option to automatically recharge a subscription on its expiry
- Wide range of subscription options
- Email notifications to both customers and admin
- Dynamic discounts calculation
Recurring Order & Subscription
Built by SpurIT, Recurring Order & Subscription is an advance Shopify app to fully manage processes of a membership-based service. This Shopify app offers flexible configuration options such as – Weekly or monthly based subscription packages, Discounts on membership packages, Automated invoicing on membership renewal, Invoicing and billing via Shopify billing system, etc. Other features include –
- Cancellation of subscription or membership using links in the email
- Reminder emails to the customer for subscription renewal with a payment link
- Allows subscriptions for one or more products and also for product bundle/s
- Automated application of taxes and shipping charges (if any) during invoicing
- No customer registration or login required to avail services
- 3-Day FREE Trial
Sell Digital Products as a Service on Shopify
The selling of Digital products requires customers access to unique links from where they can download the product. The same is the case with selling digital products as a service on Shopify. You can achieve the same with the help of below Shopify apps that provide exclusive access to the downloadable digital files.
With Send Owl app integrated with your Shopify store you can sell securely almost anything that is downloadable – videos, software, .exe files, ebooks, photos, fonts, audio, software, podcasts, etc. Send Owl allows faster and more reliable downloads with ease. Some of the striking features of Send Owl App include –
- Provision for the download link on the Order page, separate email/Shopify order email and within the Customer account
- Provision to share licenses/codes
- Delivery of the purchase-related information within 60 seconds
- Includes access to analytics of order data
- Provision to send out downloadable files in drips at the frequency of your choice
- Automatic fulfillment on Shopify orders
- Multiple file downloads per order or multi-variant file downloads per order
- Dropbox downloads compatible
- Multi-language and mobile-optimized download page
- POS, 3rd Party Fraud Apps and Google Analytics integration
- 30 Day FREE Trial Available
Sell Events or Tickets as a Service on Shopify
Events are of various kinds – Concerts, Musicals, Games & Sports, Movies, Exhibitions, Entertainment Complexes, etc. Tickets are unique to all these events. With Shopify, you can sell events too, in the form of tickets to these events with the help of apps that generates unique tickets for your customers. Here is one app using which you can commence your dream event-based eCommerce store in style.
Event ticketing Shopify app has the capability to make your Shopify store a full-fledged event management platform. This app equips you to provide your customers with fully customizable PDF and Apple wallet tickets for the events hosted in your store. Features of this Event based ticketing app includes –
- Send out pdf or Apple wallet tickets that are scannable and are barcoded
- Includes access to onsite ticket scanning app (iOS)
- Inventory tracking and fulfillment
- Tickets can be sold either FREE or Paid
- Event Ticketing app offers group ticketing/ ticket packages ( variants of tickets for a single event or multiple events) as well
- Provision for ticket download link over purchase confirmation email or at cart thank you page
- Provision to customize the tickets per your brand requirements
- Ticket cancellation provision with refunds – Cancelled tickets are added back to the inventory
- Access to powerful admin panel
Provide Quotes for your Services on Shopify
At times you may have to sell services that require custom quotes, especially when the services are made to order. You can use the Shopify platform to sell such services as well with the use of request quote plugins or apps. Here is one Shopify app that does the task for you hassle-free.
Quick Quote is a Shopify app that lets your Shopify store visitors request for custom quote/s for the listed services through the Shopify cart page. The store admin is notified on the receipt of the quote request with the item details. This event automatically creates an editable quote for the admin to fill in and revert. He can revert with information such as pricing, discounts, acceptance status, check out the status, etc. Other features include –
- Quote tracking status including when it was viewed along with back and forth commenting on the quote screen
- Product title modification on the quote
- Quote option for all or subset of the products on the store
Take Donations on Shopify
Yes, the Shopify eCommerce platform can also be used to accept donations. Donations can be either one time or recurring. The best way to accept donations is by using a subscription/membership model, which we have already discussed in this article. With the help of the Shopify app that allows subscription/membership, you can configure your donations to either one time or recur (refer Sell Memberships/Subscriptions /Rentals as a Service on Shopify section).
There is another way to accept donations that don’t need any apps or customization. Sell merchandise or other stuff on your store at a premium (fixed donation amount) and openly convey it to the donors that the money goes into charity.
Simple isn’t it!
Table Management in Restaurants using Shopify
For merchants running restaurants using Shopify POS, you can now manage your tables and orders with ease. Shopify offers a wide range of apps to cater to different functions of eCommerce and you have a couple of them for restaurant/hotel table management as well. Here is the list of apps that you should check out to handle your business hassle-free.
Restaurant Table Management
Restaurant Table Management app is designed for those hotel owners that have integrated Shopify POS into their process. With this Shopify app, you can manage the occupancy of tables and their assignment, occupant’s orders with ease. Some of the features that this app can provide to your Shopify POS system include –
- Offers hassle-free Table and Order management
- Visibility to available and occupied tables
- Table and order reassignment
- Statistics management
- 7 Day FREE Trial
Sell Tours and Travel Packages as a Service on Shopify
Tour & Travel Packages and Experience-based packages as a service are very much similar to events and booking related offerings. These services are typically time-bound and are one time. With the help of the following Shopify apps, you can transform your product-based Shopify store into selling experiences with ease.
Book That App
Book That App is a calendar-based booking app with real-time updates on the availability of the services. Unlike other similar apps, this booking app supports complex payment and booking scenarios such as multiple staff support, calendar import/export, etc. The app’s features include –
- Allows booking of time slots making it ideal for experiences, consultation, events, and related services
- Fully mobile responsive design
- Set custom booking rules – for example, opening hours, blackouts, lead/lag time, etc.
- Allow you to set the calendar intervals
- Advanced reporting features
- Fully customizable email and SMS reminders and follow up messages to customers.
- FREE trial available (with limited bookings)
Experience is fully integratable tours, experiences, tickets, and events Shopify app which allows you to sell a wide range of services on from your Shopify store. The app is widely popular among stores that sell tours and experiences. Some of the important features of this app include –
- The app includes a provision to create a completely new layout based on your service offering
- Real-time updates on the calendar (date and time) – Availability, Cancellations, Capacity, etc.
- Automated email reminders to customers
- Can also be used for services such as – Hotel room, Seat bookings, Rentals, etc.
Yes, Shopify as an eCommerce platform is best to sell products, but with the availability of some Shopify apps, the platform is best to sell services too. No doubt about it. Many have used these apps to make their services reach out to many worldwide and you can too.