What is ITIL® Foundation Certification all about?
ITIL® Foundation Certification is the first/entry level qualification in the ITIL® certification scheme of things. Foundation level is mainly intended at evaluation of a candidates’ knowledge of the concepts, elements and terminologies that are used in the ITIL® service lifecycle. In addition, this qualification appraises know-how of IT service management best practises, IT service lifecycle processes and interactions among them.
Information Technology Infrastructure Library or ITIL® in short is governed by AXELOS. AXELOS licenses institutes to exercise the ITIL intellectual property, accredits licensed examination organizations, and handles upgrades to the framework.
ITIL® Foundation certification is best for?
This qualification is primarily aimed at:
- Professionals who seek to gain basic understanding of the ITIL® framework and its practical use in improving quality of IT Service delivery.
- Candidates who look to make entry, as professionals, into IT service management. Also, professionals who look forward to be part of the service improvement program within their organizations.
- Although, anyone sit for ITIL® Foundation certification exam, some of the professionals to whom, this qualification can be of immense value-add include –
- Software Engineers/Developers
- IT Service Managers/IT Delivery Managers
- Database Administrators
- System Analysts/Administrators
- Quality Assurance and Control Professionals
- Business Managers and Business Process Owners
Prerequisite/requirements to take up ITIL® Foundation Certification
However, the ITIL Foundation level certification is open to and can benefit anyone who has an interest in the subject. Holders of an ITIL Foundation level certification are likely to require further guidance before being able to apply the ITIL practices for IT Service Management to professional projects or situations.
AXELOS, the governing body of ITIL® framework, doesn’t put forth any requirement/prerequisites for candidates to take up ITIL® Foundation certification exam. However, for other levels of ITIL® certifications such as Intermediate, Expert and Master requires aspirants to pass the criteria set for each of them. ITIL® Foundation certification is the stepping stone to qualify for all other levels in the certification scheme of things.
ITIL® Foundation Certification – Examination Format
ITIL® Foundation Certification exam is a one hour, closed book test where candidates are required to answer 40 multiple choice questions. In order to pass the exam, an exam taker is required to attain 65% i.e. 26 off the 40 questions are to be answered right.
ITIL® Foundation Certification Exam Syllabus
Some of the main topics that one needs to cover to successfully pass ITIL® foundation certification exam include –
- Service Management as a practise
- ITIL Service Lifecycle
- Generic Concepts and Definitions
- Key Principles and Models
- Processes, Functions and Roles
- Technology and Architecture
Reviewed by ProQuotient on
Rating: 8.0 out of 10