Cloud is referred to as the practice of amassing multiple different computing resources, situated at different locations around the world, through the medium of the internet. This “Cloud” provides these resources to other users over the internet like data storage or virtual environment setups. A typical example of the same is Cloud Hosting.
Any user connected to the internet can use these Cloud services rather than setting up those resources for themselves. This saves cost, time and intellectual investment into the local personally maintained resources.
The cloud services company of all size. The cloud is for everyone. The cloud is a democracy.
Marc Benioff, Founder, CEO, and Chairman of Salesforce
Now that you know what “cloud” means, you may be still wanting to know more about ‘Cloud hosting’. In this article, I will go a step further and explain why cloud hosting is the future of hosting, the various services it offers and conclude with pros and cons. This will surely help you make the right choice.
Cloud Hosting: Why is it the future of Hosting?
Web services have become very identical to how shops in marketplaces are, the marketplace being analogical to the internet. They require space to provide their services, storage sites, platforms and pre-customer support for their services, security, and reliability.
Some shopkeepers purchase their own space, resources, and manpower and some used a shared space. On the web, similar provisions are present. You can either host the website on your own servers or install the applications on those servers or use Cloud-based hosting.
Cloud hosting is when the website is hosted on a cloud platform, over resources which are spread across a cluster of servers that work together to form a “Cloud”. Through this cloud, you can quickly add more processing power, storage media and scale to increasing levels of traffic on the website. This gives the user one thing less to worry about.
Cloud hosting is reliable and very secure. Data and functions are maintained across different servers so that error and fault in any one server can be tolerated and corrected through the other servers. Speed is also ensured due to the outspread locations of the servers around the world.
Most cloud hosts depend on Virtual Machines. Virtual Machines are used to emulate a PC on another PC, using software-driven recreations of standard hardware. You can, therefore, run any guest operating system “within” any other operating system. The hosts provide a service which is functionally identical dedicated server through these virtual machines.
This has a number of advantages. Development and deployment are simplified and the whole environment can be backed-up securely as it’s just data. The Virtual Machine can be deployed to a server farm which can automatically allocate resources as required. And this also greatly reduces the risk of failure.
Different Services Cloud Hosting Provider’s Offer
Cloud hosts use different types of architectures and services, depending on the type of cloud platform they want to provide. Following are the types of services/architectures:
- Infrastructure as a Service(IaaS): IaaS is the service when only the hardware resources are provided and managed by the cloud host. This closely resembles a dedicated server. You get to maintain the OS and the applications on the cloud.
- Platform as a Service(PaaS): PaaS is the service when the Operating System is provisioned for along with the hardware resources by the cloud host. PaaS provides a specific platform for running and maintaining particular types of applications.
- Software as a Service(SaaS): SaaS is the service when everything from the hardware resources to the OS and finally to the application layer is provided and maintained by the cloud host.
The Pros of Cloud Hosting
Cloud hosting can be a huge factor in the progress of a web service. The ease of implementation and scalability makes it highly sought by most businesses, irrespective of the size. Here are some advantages of cloud hosting which stands out.
- Cloud hosting is probably the most cost-efficient method to use, maintain and upgrade host servers. Purchasing hardware, software licenses, and other manpower related expenditure can add up to a great deal.
- Scalability in cloud hosting platforms is the most integral feature. A cloud host can automatically allocate resources as traffic increases.
- No other platform can provide the high level of Security and Reliability as cloud hosting does. The principle behind the cloud of distributed servers ensures the security and reliability of data.
- Cloud hosting makes it easier to access information. This is because how the geographical locations are different for each server. Better performance and speed is also certain with these features.
- Flexibility in hosting features, costs, resource additions, and platforms have definitely made Cloud hosting a favourable method.
The Cons of Cloud Hosting
There are always two sides to a coin, and this valuable coin of Cloud hosting has some downsides to it too. Again, it all depends on what sort of service is being hosted, what services and architectures are being used and which cloud platform you’re using.
Although the cons are few, Here are some I can think of:
- The servers are Prone to hacks and attacks since they are online and connected to the internet. Hackers will look into any chance they can get to break into these servers. But the hosts use highly-secure platforms and keep check of the security definitions.
- Technical issues pertaining to the servers and the resources can prove to be a problem at times; after all, nothing is perfect in practice.
In the field of Cloud Hosting, the variety of services is growing exponentially and the market changes on a daily basis. Choosing the right cloud hosting plan for your business can be difficult when services are not directly comparable and costs are unknown until you start hosting.
If you are looking for the best cloud hosting plans, we have got you covered, after spending hours on research, here is a list of affordable could-hosting plans in the current market.