How many times have you purchased a product online without actually reading through the reviews written for it? I am sure not many, right? I should be right because the numbers say so.
As per some studies, more than 85% of online buyers take influence from product reviews for their purchases. That number is simply huge and offers a great opportunity for eCommerce store owners to look into this topic seriously.
As long as the Product reviews are not skewed towards negative, it is an asset that when leveraged upon well can make you win in the game of eCommerce. Reviews are a vital factor in purchase decisions. Product reviews help your eCommerce business build trust, loyalty, and characteristically pronounce what sets your products apart from others.
When such is the case, making the best use of them can make your website a mean selling machine. The question is how to get Product reviews? How to manage them in your favor and transform them into an asset to reckon with?
Did you know that even negative product reviews can turn tables for you positively – Here is an example
How to get more and more Product Reviews for your eCommerce store?
Building Product Reviews is like learning any martial art. It takes lots of persistence, patience, and rigor to master. But when you have mastered, you become a force to reckon with.
Note: Keep attracting product reviews drop by drop. Just imagine that you start the whole set of activities today if you manage to get 2 to 3 product reviews per day, within one year you are near almost a 1000 reviews.
Here we go, with the list of strategies to increase product review count on your eCommerce store.
If a customer’s entire experience with you and your product was bad, there is a high chance he/she is definitely going to leave a review. This is not how you ever want to increase the review count on your products.
Start your Conversation early
Nothing can beat this strategy. As soon as you have an order, start your conversation with your customer. Be it over a call or over email or any other mode, a courteous conversation builds an emotional connection.
If you are reading this article, I assume you are a newcomer to the world of eCommerce. With that assumption that your order numbers are on the lower side, I put forth a suggestion for you that can help you build your Product review much faster. As soon as the product has been received by your customer, give her a call seeking her feedback on the purchase. If there have been issues with the product, try to sort it out or seek time for it. Just before you end the call ask your customer to leave a review. No matter whether it’s good, bad or ugly, just take them.
Please note that the calling part works best for products that are premium or fall under the luxury category. Luxury here means something that is unique, exclusive, and expensive.
Also, beware that for products that are easily available and not exclusive, this strategy may in some cases dilute your brand.
What have you achieved from making that call?
- An emotional connection has been established with higher chances of repeat purchases (if they are happy with your offering)
- Now that they know you personally, 5 out of 10 times they would leave a product review. The best part is that even if they are not happy with their purchase, they would at least give you a better rating than what they would have if you hadn’t made that call.
- With that call, you can act on their feedback with them personally and work on the issues directly.
- Intangible benefits are plenty
My suggestion, try this strategy with a couple of your customers. Assess their response, based on that take a call on whether to continue it with more vigor or to drop the approach.
Be courteous and ask
When a customer has received your product/s, shoot out an email requesting for his feedback. Best would be, if your delivery notification that you send out, either email or SMS, place a link to your website requesting their reviews.
In most cases, even with email or message follow-ups, you might not receive your much-anticipated reviews. That is when you make that call to seek their feedback and product reviews. Unless you ask you are never getting it. Be courteous, seek their feedback, seek time to solve any issues they may have and just before you close the conversation, seek a product review, however, do not push for it.
Incentives work best too
Reward those who leave a review irrespective of the ratings. The best way to communicate with them about the incentive is in the delivery notifications. Go higher on the incentives until they leave a review.
Make it easy to leave a review
The whole process of leaving a product review should have minimal steps, preferably within 2-3. Not more than that. Here are some of the suggestions to make the whole process simple and effective:
- Delivery notification emails or any other request for review emails should themselves have reviewing options embedded into them. At max, you can send them directly to the product page, not to the home page.
- Include QR code-based reviewing options that can be placed within any physical material/s you may send them along with the product. For example, invoice, gift vouchers, special notes, etc.
- Integrate your product reviews with social pages so that people can leave their reviews on their social platforms as well.
There are quite a few apps and tools available for product reviews to help you get and easily manage your reviews. Whichever eCommerce platform you use, you’ll be able to find one that works for you.
How to Deal with Negative Product Reviews?
No matter how good your product and services you offer, at times you are bound to get negative reviews. When you receive one, make sure you get a fix to it as soon as possible. Here is a list of things that you should be aware of before you commence on doing anything pertaining to the received negative review/s:
- Respond Graciously – Irrespective of the kind of product reviews you receive, thank your customer first for their feedback. In case of a negative review from a customer, firstly apologize and seek their contact information. Call them and help them solve their problems.
- Go Offline if Possible – Do not continue your conversation on your eCommerce website where everyone can see your messages. Take your conversation offline. Preferably over a call or email.
- Be Polite and Chivalrous – No matter how ugly the usage of language is in a product review, never respond in a similar fashion. Be polite; take your time out to think about how to respond, which shouldn’t harm your brand image in any way.
- Request for the removal of any slanderous language used if any – Usage of defamatory language is common if a customer has not had a good experience with you or your product. If someone has left such a review, apologize as a reply and ask them to remove or correct their language over your offline conversation with them.
- Monitor Product Reviews across platforms – It’s not just on your eCommerce site, someone would have left feedback on other social platforms of yours. Know about all the platforms where you exist, monitor those accounts and follow these steps to minimize ill-effects to your brand as a result of negative reviews.
- Be serious about offering a solution quickly – Don’t take too much time to address a negative comment. Such a comment when left unattended can have a snowball effect on your brand, and that too negatively. Solve issues that have been put forth, and move on.
- Share the reviews with the concerned team – Let your team know about the negative reviews that you have gotten. Take corrective actions accordingly.
- Transform – Periodically visit all your Product reviews. Rejoice the positive ones and minimizing the negative ones. Take corrective actions periodically, as it would transform your organization for good towards a growth path.
Product reviews are an asset. Build and Manage them well so that they work for you day in day out towards growth.