6 Point Marketing Checklist for eCommerce Businesses
For a new eCommerce setup, the primary challenge in its marketing efforts has always been the limited budget. Budget although is an obvious one, there is another challenge to confront, and that is the marketing approach itself. With a plethora of options available, pinpointing on the right marketing strategy has always taken marketers a step back. In this piece of content, I intend to help you with a 6 point marketing checklist for eCommerce. A checklist that any eCommerce platform, irrespective of its size and shape can adapt to attain ROI oriented results.
Here we go!
Before you start driving traffic to your website make sure your website is complete. Complete doesn’t mean your platform is overloaded with features, but complete processes of whatever features you have placed.
For example, if you have product filter/sorting feature, make sure they just work fine. Make sure visitors are able to place product/s in their cart and finish the checkout formalities without any glitches.
To put it in simple words – As an e-commerce platform, you aren’t a business that has a website or an application. Your entire business model should just work fine for every visitor time and again without any complaints about the service you offer.
The website should be easy to comprehend and navigate around. A visitor should be quickly able to know what you are selling without any second thought. Comprehension with respect to what you are selling, discounts, pricing, quality of the products should be evident. Such attributes have a greater impact on your visitors than anything else
Social Media offers a wide variety of customer reach out opportunities to share your content and promote your business. With both organic and paid outbound marketing options, ignoring social media as a channel can be suicidal.
Social Media also provides a unique marketing proposition, and that is Influencer Marketing. With Influencer marketing, your business can reach out to millions within hours, if not in minutes. This provides a great opportunity to grab insights into how your target audience perceives you.
Social media channels such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter will continue to be the target for Influencer marketing in 2018.
I would recommend you to seriously consider social media influencer marketing before you start with anything else. Spend a couple of hundreds of dollars with Influencers, gather insights before developing your marketing strategy. If you are bound by time, take help from Influencer Marketing platforms such as – Grin etc.
Attracting organic traffic from search engines and social media definitely takes time. Don’t wait to gain insights from your store visitors. Juxtaposed with your Influencer marketing campaigns, also indulge in paid social media and search engine campaigns.
Such marketing campaigns over a period of time equip you with loads of data that will help you fine-tune your marketing. Data-driven marketing campaigns can certainly lead to increased sales, better customer interaction and an improved awareness of one’s market. Here is an article on the importance of having a data driven marketing strategy.
Key reasons, why you should invest in gathering and analyzing marketing data –
- Understand quickly why you lost or gained customers
- Understand your customer’s buying patterns
- Identify right set of campaigns that work and ones that can be scaled
- Easily calculate your ROI, while you optimize campaigns on a continuous basis
If you are in the game for serious business, it is time to accrue authority on a daily basis. To gain relevancy and authority start indulging in building a conversation with your visitors with the help of Content. Content marketing for eCommerce business continues to be most effective in driving conversions and sales.
In a recent research conducted by Demand Metric, the following were inferred about Content Marketing –
- Businesses with content strategy generate 3 times more leads than ones without content marketing
- 62% is the cost saved in marketing when a content strategy is in place
- 83% of the customers possess a positive perception of the business when custom content is made available to them
- 70% of consumers sense a closer association with the business as a consequence of content marketing
- 60% of consumers have benefitted from the content they receive from the brands
- 70% of content recipients learn about a brand through content than ads
With the kind of technologies available today, an organization can easily track, measure and optimize their marketing campaigns. Optimization here means, enhancing ROI by tracking and eliminating campaigns that do not perform and scaling ones that do.
As a marketer, you should primarily focus on gathering campaign data points with the help of campaign tracking tools. By constant monitoring of campaigns, you will be able to take decisions on campaigns that are red and green.
There are many parameters to gauge your campaigns – CPC, CPA, CTR etc. but, always focus on their ROIs.
Email marketing has been consistently outperforming other channels, w.r.t. to conversion is the traditional email marketing. Invest your time and money in building your email list, while you consistently build conversions with your customers.
Some of the fascinating reasons to invest in building your email list are as follows –
- 320% more revenue is generated by sending Welcome emails than any other promotional emails.
- Consumers who receive emails purchase products from eCommerce store spend approximately 140% more than consumers who do not
- Consumers who receive emails are 3 times more likely to share the content on social media than others
- According to a survey, it has been found that 80% of digital marketers indicate that email marketing is best for customer retention.
- 77% of consumers favor receiving communication over emails than any other media such as phone, text, social media etc. This is primarily attributed to permission-based communication that emails offer. Additionally, over 75% of millennials prefer emails as their preferred means of communication
- Ideal days to send emails are Tuesdays and Thursdays
- More than 21% of all messages are opened within the 1st hour of sending them.
To put things in place, it is easy to commence your marketing activities provided you understand the logic behind them. A well designed and complete website is the starting point. From there, pursue the needed initial push using Influencer marketing. Gain insights into what your audience think of you. Start conversing with your audience, while you constantly optimize your marketing efforts. Effective and logical management of this play is the key to succeeding as an eCommerce platform.