What is CSM® or Certified ScrumMaster® Certification all about?
Governed by Scrum Alliance, Certified ScrumMaster® is a qualification provided to professionals who intend to take role of a Scrum Master. Scrum is a leading framework for agile software development. CSM® is offered to those who successfully complete CSM® training and exhibit understanding of Scrum methodology via the CSM® exam. A certified ScrumMaster® demonstrate proficiency on the following aspects of Agile Software development
- Induces Scrum practises into Scrum teams and development for higher collaboration, productivity, and success among team members
- Takes steps to lessen distractions by the team – external and internal
- Takes up role of a consultant in a Scrum set up offering Scrum expertise on – Team Dynamics, Product (Planning, Development, Release etc), Learning etc.
CSM or Certified Scrum Master Requirements
Scrum Alliance doesn’t put forth any criteria for aspirants to take up CSM® certification exam. All interested professionals who look forward to display their proficiency and enhance their career in Scrum management can take up CSM® course and take up the exam.
How to Become a Certified Scrum Master?
As we discussed in our earlier section that there are no criteria for individuals to become a Certified ScrumMaster® , anyone who interested to take a leap in their career ladder they can attempt CSM® exam. Below steps should give you better understanding of how one can become a certified ScrumMaster® –
- First step towards your dream certification on Scrum software development is to develop understanding of Scrum.
- Attend a 2 day CSM® training performed by a certified Scrum trainer. You can attend any Scrum Alliance registered courses.
- Register and take up the CSM® online exam, anytime and anywhere you want.
- In order to qualify through the exam one has to attain a minimum of 24 points out of 35.
- Upon successfully qualifying through the exam, accept the license agreement with Scrum Alliance and update your profile for the membership.
Benefits of becoming Certified Scrum Master
A certified as CSM® can bring to the table plethora of benefits to professionals, to name the important few, here is the list –
- A CSM® certification offers professionals with unmatched credibility in the agile software development space. It expands the horizon of job opportunities across geographies for certified individuals. Career opportunities of qualified individuals expand as they remain pertinent across sectors.
- This qualification is well known and recognized across the globe.
- Salary raise is almost assured. According to Business Insider , a certified Scrum Master can easily net a job salary of approx 120,000 USD per year.
- CSM® certification offers the necessary credential which proves that a professional has a complete appreciation of Scrum methodology and its application in a real project scenario. With CSM® one will be able to demonstrate success of Scrum knowledge to employers and colleagues.
- CSM® credential opens up doors into highly respected agile community. Also, one gains access to valuable recourses and expert groups that are exclusive to Scrum Alliance members.
- Being a Scrum master is a very challenging role, with this a qualified professional gets take up demanding and engaging tasks in his professional career.
CSM® Exam pattern
Certified ScrumMaster® exam is held online so that an aspirant can take up the exam anywhere and anytime he wants. The exam consists of 35 questions (combination of multiple choice and true/false) that need to be answered in 60 minutes. The questions in the exam cover – General Scrum knowledge and Scrum roles, meeting and artifacts.