How to select a suitable Domain name? Tips and Tricks
If you are planning for a website for your personal blog, your startup or for the organization your are working with, then put some thoughts on what the domain name should be is of high importance. Domain name for a website has the potential to decide the fate of your brand for many reasons, mainly on brand perception fronts and if you are looking for search engine as a key driver of traffic to your website, on search engines too; brand name plays a key role in SEO too. In this article, I have listed down 6 important activities that you should perform before selecting a domain name for your dream website. Here we go –
- Brainstorming is the key – Brainstorm with your team on the best keywords that decide the kind of website you are planning for. For example, if you are planning to sell groceries online, then it is ideal to have words like – kart, mart, shop etc in attached to your brand name. This is basically to help new visitors tag your website to the industry you are into. This helps them identify and remember your website. Having right keyword/s also help a great deal in enhancing your website rankings on search engines. Remember, its not just visitors that need to categorize and tag you with an industry, but the search engines as well. For example, if you are selling electronic items on your website, it is ideal to have keywords such as gadgets, systems, computers, mobile etc in your domain name.
- Make your website domain name sound unique – You would not want to ape a popular brand name for the reason that, your visitors would identify you as a wanna be or a fake website as you do not have any brand credentials yet. Hence, go for a domain name that is unique which defines what your website is all about. Avoid plurals, mis-spelled or hyphenated versions of an existing one version.
- Choose a simple short domain name that is easy to remember and type – Do not go for a domain names that are complicated to type, for example – goooddeeeds.com is a name where people would remember the brand name but would never get to your website. They would get confused as to how many ‘o’ s and ‘e’s are there to type in the browser. Short and sweet ones are best if word-of-mouth is one of your marketing strategies.
- Check if your domain infringes any Copyrights – You do not want to move your entire established website to a new domain name for being asked to remove the earlier one for copyright breaches. Hence make sure you check if your domain name is safe for creating website.
- Go for a .com domain if available – Go for a .com domain if you are looking for the website’s success long term. Since, .com (short form for commercial) is ideal for audience across geographies and categories, it is a preferable one. If your website is highly categories and targets a niche or geography, then it is ideal to go for domain names such as .org (organization), .co.uk (United Kingdom), .info (Information) etc.
- Do not use numbers and hyphens – For the obvious reason that it is difficult to remember.
- Find for your domain availability – Lastly, make sure your domain name is available with the domain registrar for registration in your name. NameCheap is one of the best and cheap domain registration companies that I would highly recommend. It offers easy domain search capability across extension.
It is always best to do a round of homework on how domain name can decide fate of a website before rounding in one domain name. A small checklist provided above isn’t too time consuming, while you completely negate the possibility of changing your domain name entirely in future.